If you or a loved one were viciously attacked by a dog in the LA area, Ehline Law Firm PC stands ready to assist in your recovery. Headed by former Marine, Michael Ehline, we have an A+ rating with the BBB, and Ehline is the recipient of numerous awards, including the Super Lawyers Rising Star prize. We will fight until the case is done. Our track record of hundreds of victories and millions of dollars recovered will give you confidence in our fight for your legal rights.
Vicious Canine Attacks Against Adults and Children
Dog attacks can affect all people, but the most common injuries are to children. These terrible attacks cause more emergency room visits than any other for children– including burn injuries. These attacks could cause serious laceration injuries, especially 10 and under. Unfortunately, 77% of these injuries to small kids involve their heads and faces and could also lead to infections.
Dog attacks are common in the United States and the damages they cause are estimated to be over $2 billion dollars a year. At least 61% of these dog attacks happen in the owner’s own home, or immediate neighborhoods. It’s common that even familiar dogs will attack, especially if they are not considered a danger. Many don’t want to have to sue their friends and neighbors, or understand the law as it relates to dogs in general.
At the same time, severe injuries and medical bills need to be addressed. When faced with these issues and emotional scarring, insurance often covers much. However, it sometimes falls short or people are faced with insurance companies not wanting to pay what they should.
A person hurt in such a manner is often shell-shocked. They can be emotionally shattered, vulnerable, and even disfigured. Still, the law requires even victims to be diligent in mitigating losses and protecting injury claims in order to be indemnified. You need to prove your case. These tips can assist:
- Call a first responder – Even if it seems like this is not a major injury. An untreated bite can lead to rabies or serious infection, perhaps also leading to amputation. Even a claw scratch can have severe consequences. Seeing a doctor is vital, even in the emergency room.
- Determine who owns or controls the aberrant animal – Make sure that this person is on notice so that the animal is secured or quarantined.
- Identify the liability insurance company providing potential coverage – This is crucial. As discussed, there may be more than one policy of insurance. In some cases, your own insurance may provide potential coverage for your wounds.
- Call the local Los Angeles City and County animal control agents, and police, and lodge a complaint – The County dog police, or city animal control officer, may wish to impound the animal to prevent future injuries and test it for mange, rabies, or other disease. They may even discover that the animal has attacked others, declare it a danger, and could have it destroyed.
- Preserve of Evidence – It is crucial to take photos of the attack location, holes in fences that the dog escaped through, names, addresses, and phone numbers of witnesses or anything else that proves your story and who controls the animal. This can include daily photos of your injury and slow recovery. Preserve your clothes and the blood, dirt, or other issues for the case.
Strict Liability in Dog Bite Cases
Some states require that a dog must have first set upon another person at least once in the past, in order for a victim to be enabled to sue in court. Not so in the Golden State. There is no “one bite” rule here. In the State of California, the legislature has determined that a dog owner is strictly liable when his or her dog bites another person in an animal attack, with the few defenses available listed here. This means there is no requirement that the dog had to be known as “dangerous” by the owner in order for the owner to be made to pay up for the bodily and emotional harm caused by the animal.
In order to recover money, you must first prove:
- Victim was not a trespasser – Must have been hurt on publicly open property, or on private property with real or implied permission.
- Who owns or controls the dog.
- Victim suffered an injury, for which monetary compensation may be awarded.
- Lost Wages and Employment – Including time off work, provable loss of contract or job.
- Recovery of Hospital and Therapy Bills – Including future therapy, and past, present, and future medications for mental and physical pain.
- Past, Present and Future Pain and Suffering
- Home Nursing Care
- Loss of Consortium – Including love, affection, and other issues.
- Punitive Damages – In extraordinary circumstances, if it can be proven the dog owner “sicked” his dog on you, that surely would qualify as an intentional act for which compensation should be awarded beyond the standard general damages, in order to punish the perpetrator.
Ehline Law Firm PC has experienced, nose to the grindstone personal injury attorneys, who don’t beat around the bush. We know all about California animal attack lawsuits and insurance claims. Our lawyers are straight shooters with a can do attitude. We can help you determine the amount of your money damages claims, and counsel you on how to avoid making frivolous demands. We will present you with a game-plan on how to achieve a low risk recovery with utmost haste.
As discussed, this may include damages for permanent injuries to your body or mind. Let us help you determine what insurance coverage there is for your potential case. You may have a case worth filing. Stealing victory from the jaws of defeat and achieving windfall victories is our goal.
If we cannot settle, we are willing to take the case all the way through and won’t be happy until you win a satisfying settlement or verdict at trial.
At Ehline Law Firm PC, we will assist you in finding a doctor, and help you get a physician to work on a lien if you cannot afford the best medical care for your small child injured by a dog bite wound. We can also help locate a psychiatrist to help with the emotional difficulties of an the attack by a dangerous animal.
Parents are also indirect victims of dog bites and other animal attacks, not just their bitten children. Call our legal guru and speak with an experienced, leading California dog bite attorney expert immediately, and learn about the no win no fee promise, at 1-888-400-9721. > Back to Dog Bite Law Page.