Were you viciously attacked by a dog in LA? We assist victims injured by animal attacks & mauling! Michael P. Ehine, Esq., is an inactive U.S. Marine, has an A+ rating with BBB, is a Super Lawyers Rising Star and has won numerous awards. Get a champion in your corner with a record of extraordinary outcomes. Give us a shot and we will make the significant investment of time and resources it takes to make your case a winner. Call for a free consultation, or watch the video below to discover your legal rights.
Vicious Canine Attacks Against Adults and Children
Although dogs attack all types and sizes of people, the vast majority animal attacks victims are little kids. In fact, horrific dog bites are the cause of more emergency room visits than any other youth activity, even burn injuries. Serious laceration injuries make victims of the youngest of children, ages ten (10) and under; over seventy-seven percent (77%) of injuries to small kids are those involving their heads and faces. They can also lead to secondary infections and other issues, as will be discussed.
Dog attacks are expensive and costs to consumers are estimated to be over $2 billion dollars a year. Amazingly, at least sixty-one percent (61%) of dog bite attacks happen in their own houses, or in their very neighborhoods. So it is not just unfamiliar dogs that attack. It can be an animal you know well, and assume is not a danger. A small child who was bit by a dog owned by a friend or neighbor can be problematic on many levels. You usually don’t want to sue friends, neighbors and family members.
At the same token, medical bills and the emotional scars need to be addressed. But you need to understand that many of these injuries are covered by the dog owners and homeowners insurance policy, and may even include insurance claims under an excess or umbrella policy to boot. But you need to know California dog bite laws to get the most recovery. You need confidence in the competence of your lawyer at understanding these delicate and important matters. Informed leadership is what you are seeking, and we are led by Michael Ehline, an inactive U.S. Marine. A real top gun lawyer.
When a person is afflicted in a dog bite shake up, the person is made to feel like quarry. You are typically emotionally shattered, vulnerable, and probably have at least some minor disfigurement. And yet, the law requires to to be diligent in mitigating your loss and protecting your injury claims in order to be indemnified. In other words, you still need to prove your case. Here are a few things to do that can help the victim and others:
- Call a first responder – If you think it is not a major injury, it does not matter. An untreated chomp can lead to rabies, or other serious infection that could end up as an amputated limb. Even a scratch from a claw can lead to serious diseases. You must get to a medical provider. Preferably, you need to get to the emergency room.
- Determine who owns or controls the aberrant animal – Make sure the person or persons responsible for the dog are on notice, so they can take steps to secure the animal, or quarantine it.
- Identify the liability insurance company providing potential coverage - This is crucial. As discussed, there may be more than one policy of insurance. In some cases, your own insurance may provide potential coverage for your wounds.
- Call the local Los Angeles City and County animal control agents, and police, and lodge a complaint – The County dog police, or city animal control officer, may want to impound the animal and place it in the pound, pending testing for mange, or rabies, etc. Law enforcement may even find that the animal has attacked others, and declare it a danger, and even order it to be destroyed.
- Preservation of Evidence – It is crucial to gather photographs of the attack location, holes in fences that dogs escaped through, the names, addresses and phone numbers of percipient witnesses and anything else that tends to prove or disprove who controls the beast. Pictures can also help create a day in the life visual record of your trauma, and the healing process, from the first grotesque bite wound image, the stitches, all the way down to the less disgusting scar wounds – Make sure not to wash the clothing or shoes you wore, and instead, bind them up as separate items in separate sealed containers. This may also include bagging up the blood spattered shoes that you wore. These items can assist a Los Angeles jury in determining liability and damages in your potential dog bite lawsuit.
Strict Liability in Dog Bite Cases
Some states require that a dog must have first set upon another person at least once in the past, in order for a victim to be enabled to sue in court. Not so in the Golden State. There is no “one bite” rule here. In the State of California, the legislature has determined that a dog owner is strictly liable when his or her dog bites another person in an animal attack with the few defenses here. This means there is no requirement that the dog had to be known as dangerous by the owner in order for the owner to be made to pay up for the bodily and emotional harm caused by the animal.
In order to recover money, you must first prove:
- Victim was not a trespasser – Must have been hurt on publicly open property, or on private property with real or implied permission.
- Who owns or controls the dog.
- Victim suffered an injury, for which monetary compensation may be awarded.
- Lost Wages and Employment – Like time off work, provable loss of contract or job
- Recovery of Hospital and Therapy Bills - Including therapy in the future, and past present and future medications for mental and physical pain, etc.
- Past, Present and Future Pain and Suffering
- Home Nursing Care
- Loss of Consortium – Love, affection, etc.
- Punitive Damages - In extraordinary circumstances, if it can be proven the dog owner “sicked” his dog on you, that surely would qualify as an intentional act for which compensation should be awarded beyond the standard general damages, in order to punish the evil doer.
Ehline Law Firm PC has experienced, nose to the grindstone personal injury attorneys, who don’t beat around the bush. We know all about California animal attack lawsuits and insurance claims. Our lawyers are straight shooters who don’t beart around the bush. We can help you determine the amount of your money damages claims, and counsel you on how to avoid making frivolous demands. We will present you with a game-plan on how to achieve a low risk recovery in a timely fashion.
As discussed, this may include damages for permanent injuries to your body or mind. Let us help you determine what insurance coverages are available. Stealing victory from the jaws of defeat and achieving windfall victories is our goal. If we cannot settle, we are willing to take the case all the way through and won’t be happy until you win a satisfying settlement or verdict at trial.
At Ehline Law Firm PC, we will assist you in finding a doctor, and help you get a physician to work on a lien if you cannot afford the best medical care for your small child injured by a dog bite wound. We can also help locate a psychiatrist to help with the emotional difficulties of an the attack by a dangerous animal.
Parents are also indirect victims of dog bites and other animal attacks, not just their bitten children. Call our legal guru. Speak with an experienced, leading California dog bite attorney expert immediately, and learn about the no win no fee promise, at 1-888-400-9721. > Back to Dog Bite Law Page.