In particular, for military vets with families, attending classes and working to put food on the table is a monumental task. When families are broke or scraping pennies, many are unable to continue on with legal education without a little financial help now and then.
Basic Guidelines of Essay
All applications for the military scholarship must include a copy of your DD-214 with proof of an honorable discharge, and a 500 or more word essay about why military vets can make a difference in improving the image of the practice of law. In the essay, provide examples of how the discipline, honor and motivation learned in your military training will help you be a better lawyer and improve the image of lawyers in the consumer’s mind. For example, what life lessons did you obtain from your experience in boot camp, MOS schools, etc., and what did you learn from these challenges? How did these experiences help you prepare for law school? Why did you choose law over some other adversarial profession? Were you wounded in combat, were you an MP? Tell us everything pertinent to your choice in becoming a legal warrior.
Ehline runs their scholarship programs for three (3) year periods. Students who do not win in the first or second years, are welcome to re-apply each following year, until they do win, whichever time shall come first. This particular scholarship is for military veterans. Our founder, personal injury attorney Michael Ehline, is an honorably discharged U.S. Marine (Read More.) But we do not discriminate if you are a veteran of a sister service, and the contest is also open to Coast Guard, despite the fact that this armed force is under DHS, and not DOD.
- Students must submit essays and applications electronically by e-mail, in either Word or Word Perfect, mailed by no later than October 1, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017. There are no exceptions.
- Candidates who were selected into the run-off phase will be contacted by electronic mail prior to November 15, 2015, 2016, 2017 of the contest year.
- Candidates who are accepted shall show valid proof of their current enrollment or participation, and GPA by no later than December 15, 2015, 2016, 2017 of that given contest year.
- The winner of the military scholarship contest shall be contacted by electronic mail by January 20, 2015, 2016, or 2017.
Participants must meet the following criteria:
- Participants must be enrolled in an accredited Law Office Study Program, or Law School, such as a judge’s chambers, law school, or other university in the several states.
- Must either prove a GPA that shows cumulative Grade Point Average(GPA) of 3.0 or higher, or proof of continuous law office study up until the time of the receipt of the award.
- All submissions shall be received by 10/1/ of each calendar year.
- As stated, all vets must show proof of honorable discharge.
The top placing articles, even if they are not the winning articles will also be considered for publishing on one of our legal blogs, and will include your author’s info and bio. So even the losers of the scholarship will still have a chance at recognition and honorable mention on our esteemed legal blogs and sites.
Include all the above forms in either Word or WordPerfect Format. Include your DD214 and Proof of GPA as a PDF attachment.
Additionally: We will need your full name, the name of the attorney, judge or school under which you study, and the names and contact info of at least two character references. Former commanding officers and NCO’s are acceptable for veterans as character references. We hope you will continue participating in the scholarship, and we will be offering the same award yearly, and have decided to keep the program going indefinitely.
Deadline: These are both yearly contests, and the last day to submit the required materials for each contest will be 11-01 of each year.
- All applications shall be via electronic mail to michael AT ehlinelaw.com. (If there is a problem with the attachment, or file size, contact us via e-mail, or call 213.596.9642 if emails are rejected.)
- Student must apply as per the above stated guidelines.
- If in a school, must present proof of GPA or greater for their time accumulated for the calendar year, or proof of exemplary student status, in the form of a signed writing from their official instructor, or supervising attorney, if not in school.
- All applicants must show proof of state or federal citizenship in the U.S incorporeal government.
What Constitutes Valid Proof of Basic Educational Requirements and Timing
First Phase: This stage merely requires an electronic copy of the applicant’s essay and application. As we are vetting and identifying each applicant that passes first phase, the reviewing agent will only then require a recent official, or unofficial transcript that is provided by the given learning institution, law school, college, school, or university upon second phase.
Second Phase: Applicants selected to become candidates will be notified by no later than November 15, 2015, 2016, 2017. Time to provide proof of educational requirements starts at that time, and is secondary and only comes into play upon reaching candidate status. The three (3) top candidates, if any, that are selected by our board of review to be entered into the main contest are the only individuals required to notice Ehline Law. Notice shall consist of each candidate emailing the official, unaltered transcripts and/or proof by no later than. Time to provide proof shall be no later than December 15, 2015, 2016, 2017.
Any and all additional queries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional disclaimers and conditions: In addition to the above waiver, conditions and responsibilities, applicants and candidates hereby agree and accept the rules that any award, prize, or reward received shall be utilized for things like school related expenses, such as laptops, tuition, books, and school related supplies as they are commonly understood to be. By providing Ehline Law Firm PC with your essay, application, or any supporting materials, all applicants agree and accept that these materials, other than transcripts and proof of education, may be used on any and all forms of media, including television, hard print, websites, blogs, videos like YouTube, and so on and so forth. You hereby gives us permission to use your essay and application on any and all educational or commercial platforms discussed or mentioned above, whether you won or lost the actual contest.
Other legal scholarships we are offering:
- Tort Law Student Scholarship Contest
- American Paralegal Student Scholarship
If you are interested in any of our other scholarships, or the California State Bar Law Office Study Program in general, feel free to contact us on Google Plus. Any other questions can be directed to the above email address. Please do not contact us during regular business hours by telephone regarding any of these programs, as we are busy assisting injured victims during these hours, and these contests are charitable events and offerings. Thank your for supporting a healthy legal system and reviewing our site.