Degloving injuries can be among the most painful injuries a person can suffer. There can be many long-term consequences of such an injury and is one that you should take very seriously. Deglove injuries can happen in various types of mishaps and is something to be careful regarding. If you or a loved one has been injured in such a manner, you need to know what to do next. Medical bills could be piling up and the consequences just becoming clear.
Deglove injuries can include those that tear the skin from the bone, tendon, and muscle. Others have even more– like the skin, tendon, and muscle being pulled back from the bone. These injuries are extremely serious and very painful. These can be particularly distressing because of the delicate nature of the skin, webbing of the hand, and its structure. These types of injury are not uncommon on the farm and in motorcycle and equipment accidents. Escalators can also cause serious deglove injuries.
We at Ehline Law Firm PC understand what you are going through. As a child, Michael Ehline suffered a partial deglove of his finger and tendons. He has a special understanding of how these injuries affect lives, the need for surgery, and the potential need for a hand flap and reconstruction. Our attorneys have also been involved in various cases like this and will fight for our clients. Our track record has been a success and we want to make your life whole again. Call us at 888-400-9721 for more information and a free, no-pressure consultation.
If you or a loved one is seriously injured due to another’s negligence, you may have to file a lawsuit. Our law firm files these court claims to make sure that you receive the compensation that is coming to you. With a hand or other limb, a deglove injury most often happens when your hand is snatched or trapped and pulled at a low velocity– ripping off the protective glove of skin. Since your hand’s skin is already designed with ridges and tacky surfaces, friction often prevents it from completely sliding away.†For example, if a hand is pulled into a conveyor belt and is pulled back, the outward direction may cause a ring avulsion, or brachial plexus injury.
Examples of the deglove lawsuits and insurance claims we have fought in our personal injury law firm include:
- Conveyor belts: These are the most common causes of deglove injuries that we see. These machines often cause an outward force with hands or digits becoming stuck inside. Belts have a coarse surface that can easily grip the skin as it tears it. Roller machines can press the whole hand and rip the entire upper limb outwards onto the axillary region, sometimes known as the “root of the limb” or cause a more traditional degloving;
- Dog Bite Attacks: a dog bite into a hand or foot rips off the skin, causing a degloving;
- Motorcycle personal injuries: some crashes can result in a degloved tearing of the skin off knees, shoulders, hands and feet;
- Bicycle crash incidents: a fall from a bicycle can beimilar in injury to a motorcycle crash discussed above;
- Construction issues: often workers are injured from a skill saw deglove injury assuming the limb was not amputated;
- Car Accidents: the sheet metal in a car can break apart and sliver during the impact. When this happens, it can dig into the body and cause an automobile degloving. A passenger or driver that is not wearing their seatbelt can be thrown through a window, peeling back the skin;
- Amusement Park Accidents: skin can peel back from a rollercoaster ride, such as when a child’s hand gets trapped between the rails and wheels of a ride;
- Cruise Liner Injury Accidents: the skin glove can be torn off by hatches, ropes, cables and other gadgets commonly found aboard cruise liners. It is sometimes compounded by failure of the passenger ships to have adequate medical facilities to deal with these catastrophic claims;
- Aviation Accident Injuries: survivors of an airplane or helicopter accident can leave chunks of skin being torn from the body. These shocking events result in some of the worst incidents of a degloving;
- Pedestrian Crosswalk Catastrophe: being run over in a car in a crosswalk can result in friction burns, road rash, and the pulling of skin off of hands run over by tires.
Common damages caused by these types of injuries include excruciating pain in the past, present and future. Not only this, but the special, or economic damages are a major consideration due to the loss of use of such an important limb as a hand. †The plaintiff is entitled to recover money for things such as surgery to try and save and protect certain vital parts of the musculoskeletal unit like vascularity of remnant tissue, entire hands, fingers, palms, dorsum, internal tendons, neurovascular bundles, and muscles.
Sometimes in cases of a partial deglove, or even a total deglove, a surgical skin flap may be required to generate new tissue to the damaged area. †Replantation is not always possible. In those cases, revascularisation will be needed. Vein grafting and arterial anastomosis, as well as debridement of the avulsed vessels is extremely significant and needed before embarking on microanastomosis. These types of medical procedures require special surgeries that can be very expensive. †If surgery does not result in a total recovery, a victim could be permanently unemployed, and need money to replace what they would have made but for the injury knocking them out of the workforce. Ehline Law Firm PC fights for people suffering from these tragic wounds day in and day out. We are here for you to help get you money for the best doctors money can buy and to get recompense to cover lost wages, re-training and physical therapy.
Replantation of a circumferentially degloved ring finger by venous arterializations – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3745700/
Replantation of degloved skin of the hand – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9583485
Lozier Corp. v. State, Second Injury Fund – http://law.justia.com/cases/nebraska/court-of-appeals/1993/a-92-222-8.html
Such a traumatic injury with the added effects of having to face the horrific nerve damage and disfigurement of a deglove injury requires the experience, knowledge and skill of competent and skilled legal counsel. If you or a loved one suffered a devastating injury such as this †due to negligence, you may be entitled to seek financial compensation from the person or individuals who are responsible for the chain of events that led to your loss of skin and muscle. Contact Ehline Law Firm PC for a free consultation to see what can be done to help put your life back together tel: 1-888-400-9721.